Sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar! We love the stuff and it’s practically everywhere. In fact, it’s hard to find a processed food without sugar in it. Even salt and cigarettes contain sugar. Wow!
One of top things a naturopath will likely include in your treatment plan at one point or another is cutting out sugar. It’s damaging for hormone balance, weight management, blood vessel health, energy levels and more.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine excess sugar intake is considered to be damaging to the Spleen – the organ that builds Blood.
I could go on forever with all of the bad things it can do to you, but what I really want to share is how to cut down your intake.
Here are my top tips:
- Get it out of the house. Remove all sugar products from your home – white sugar, brown sugar, sugar-laden peanut butter, ice cream, cereal, yogurt, etc.
- Replace it with sweet vegetables. Carrots, peas and sweet potatoes are some of the sweetest vegetables out there. Include one of these in your meal to satisfy a need for sweet without reaching for the sugar bowl.
- Use replacements in moderation. Options like honey, molasses, and maple syrup have their place, but they should not be a direct replacement for white sugar. Try to limit this to once per day.
- Choose herbs. Come visit me in the clinic to learn about herbs that can help reduce your sugar cravings. – Book an Appointment
- Get to the root. Sugar cravings can also be rooted in deeper emotional or energetic issues. Make an appointment with me to discuss how we can work to overcome these together. – Book an Appointment
You’ll be amazed how your taste buds will adjust. Nature’s most natural sweetness will prevail on your tongue and you’ll reach for the sugar-bowl much less often.
Sugar-free habits are just what the (future) doctor ordered.
Check out this funny video I did with my sisters and mom all about getting sugar out of your diet.