Obviously travel is a large part of my life – and adventure travel is certainly one of the best ways to accomplish my desire to GO GO GO! So why not race & travel at the same time.
This weekend I will be travelling to Michigan to compete in the He Tried/She Tried triathlon. This is a couple’s event & I will be joined by my significant other, Mat (poor guy – he was kinda’ forced into it). My Aunt Tammy will also be racing (she’s an Iron Woman) & we’ll be cheered along by my uncle and cousins. How fun!
Mat & I will be able to race together and our times will be combined to determine the winning team. This is great since it is Mat’s 1st triathlon (and my 3rd). We’ve chosen the Sprint Distance length – approximately 800m swim, 20k bike, 5k run.
Of course, like any other travel event – this requires a lot of packing.
Here’s my list of must-haves for triathlon success:
- Swimcap (it will be provided to us to separate our waves)
- Helmet (they won’t let us race without it!)
- Glasses (otherwise bugs fly in your eyes) – I like Oakley’s
- Running shoes – these Saucony Kinvara’s are light & cute
- Tri Suit (I chose this cute one from Craft) – it has padding in all the right places & it dries quickly so I can wear it swimming, biking & running without having to change
- Tri Bag – love my TYR bag - it has nooks and crannies for everything!
- Shammy for quick drying
- Old towel for laying out my transition area
- Clothes to change into after the race (no one likes to hang around in wet clothes)
Nutrition: I am hoping to be done the race in 1.5 hours. Since it isn’t too long I won’t need a lot of fuel during the race, but I will need a good shake before. I’ve packed my trusty shake mix in my tri bag: SunWarrior Warrior Blend vanilla protein powder, Greens+ & Thorne L-Glutamine. I’ll combine this with berries, almond milk and a scoop of almond butter a few hours before the race.
Interested in more race info? Check out this informative post.
Keep your eyes peeled for Team Tough Love!
I’ll post next week with the results!